Approved Mortgage Solutions Ltd
HomeAbout UsMortgagesProtectionInsuranceCustomer FeedbackJargon BusterNewsContact

Landlords Buildings Insurance

What is it?

As a landlord you normally have a buy to let mortgage, just like a residential mortgage your lender will insist that you have suitable buildings insurance in place. Even if your fortunate enough not to have a mortgage, unless you can afford to rebuild your investment from scratch you should have suitable buildings insurance in place.

What isn't covered?

Your cover is based on what your investment property would cost to rebuild. You can check whether you have enough buildings insurance through the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) website. It has an online tool to help you calculate the sum you should insure your building(s) for, in case your home has to be entirely rebuilt. Often you can find the rebuild costs of your property on the valuation or survey report.

You need to tell your insurer if you extend your property, for example with a loft conversion or conservatory.

Your belongings are not covered – these need to be covered separately with contents insurance

If you let your property on a furnished basis you should check with your adviser what is covered as landlords contents insurance is normally much more restricted than standard home contents insurance policies.

Keeping costs down

You may also find that you get a better deal if you buy buildings and contents insurance together. Most policies have a standard excess charge which means you agree to pay the first part of any claim, for example the first £100 or £150. If you agree to pay a higher excess you might get a cheaper policy. Always compare what's covered by a policy, not just the price – the key policy information or a good adviser will help you do this. Some might be cheaper than others, but they may not offer the same level of protection.

Benefits May Include:

  • Accidental Damage Cover - Includes cover for accidental breakage of fixed glass, fixed sanitary fittings, ceramic glass in cooker hobs of built-in units, fixed solar panels, cables, underground pipes or tanks serving your property.

  • Building Cover - Cover for the home and fixtures and fittings, garden walls, hedges, paths, drives and patios, car ports, permanent swimming pools built of brick, stone or concrete and any outbuildings.

  • NCD - Maximum discount offered: 1 year - 5 years. NCD can also be protected on some policies.

  • Legal Liability - Up to: £2,000,000

  • Metered Water - Up to: £1,500

  • Loss of rent or costs for alternative accommodation - up to 20% of the sum insured.

Please contact us to to provide the details we need to give give you with a personal quote.

  Expert Advice

     We search for your best deal!

     We take care of all the paperwork.

     We work for you not the lender!

     Talk to Approved Mortgage
     Solutions TODAY!

  Mortgage Calculator

     Use our easy to use mortgage
     calculator to help you plan your loan.

    mortgage calculator

Latest News

Using the links below means you would leave the regulated site of Approved Mortgage Solutions Ltd. Neither Approved Mortgage Solutions Ltd nor TenetLime Ltd is responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the non-regulated site.
Tesco mulls high-end 'Finest' convenience stores

The supermarket's plan rattles upmarket rival brands, sending their shares lower.

Flats out of fashion with first-time buyers

First-time buyers are keen to jump straight to a house, leading to cheaper apartment prices, experts say.

I'm in work 'but still struggling to get by'

Poverty among those who are working has risen, but many more people are now in work, research indicates.